mine also know by its original older name of Cammock Eals was first worked for
lead by the Beaumont Company along the Slitt vein. The horse level was started
in 1847, this date is inscribed in the date stone for the adit. The mine was
worked until 1871 even though its lead production was poor.
In 1906 the
mine was reopened and worked for fluorspar with a succession of different
owners. By the late 1940's the mine was acquired by Anglo-Austral Mines Ltd who
worked the mine for spar, lead and zinc. The ore was transported to the mill at
Nenthead for processing.
The biggest development of the mine started in
the 1970's when Malcolm Brown and Madison drove an incline below the horse
level which discovered high grade fluoritic ore. Shortly after this the mine
changed hands and the Swiss Aluminium UK Company took over operations, which
drove the incline deeper, reaching the Tynebottom Limestone, Whin Sill and Jew
Limestone. In 1982 the mine was taken over again, by a subsidiary of Minworth
Ltd who developed the mine further by driving the incline to deeper horizons.
The mine closed in 1989 and by this time was the deepest mine in the
region. At the peak of its operations, output of spar was 1100 - 1700 tonnes
per week. The incline is completely flooded, and the horse level is partly
accessible for a short distance.
Features on the Cambokeels mine site.
A speedy visit down the horse level to see the ventilation fan
and the collapse of the level.
(Karli, Mike and Pete), 27th April