Engine Shaft dates from the 1830's, when it was sunk to replace the East Bonsor
Shaft. A large 14m diameter water wheel was used to power the pump and winding
gear operating in the shaft. The pump was based around a balance bob
arrangement, used through out the Coniston Copper Mines complex.
shaft is just over 400m deep and it intersects the Deep Level at the 90m mark.
It then continues down into flooded workings to the 170 Fathom Level, 311m
further down. The top of the shaft is accessible via a large short level driven
into the hillside. From the level it is possible to see the head gear with
sheaved wheel still in place, this was restored by CATMHS. Below the head gear
is a small level, which formed a platform for the balance bob mechanism. The
vertical pump rods are still in the shaft and can be clearly seem from the
access level driven from the East Bonsor Shaft.
The pumping side of the
shaft was used to pump water ultimately from the 205 Fathom level, which had
been drawn up by operations on the New Engine Shaft. The water here was then
diverted along the 170 Fathom level, and up to exit via Deep Level. Ore raised
by the shaft will also have been taken out via this level, straight to the
Bonsor Dressing Floors.