workings were by two shafts and a short level driven from the side of a burn
near Harehope Farm. The shafts gave access to workings in the Little Limestone
and the Coal Sills. The mine worked the Broadwood Cross and Slitt Veins.
The Day Shaft gave access to workings above the horse level and also
provided water for the waterwheel in the mine for pumping the underground
Engine Shaft. The Borehole Shaft gave access to workings below the horse level.
A series of further underground shafts gave access to the Great Limestone,
which was worked on a number of levels. The Engine Shaft was some 60m deep gave
access to the Great Limestone and the Four Fathom Limestone.
Lead Company leased the mine in 1796 and it is probable that they drove the
main level. Around the mid 1830's the Beaumont Company began working the mine,
but by the middle of the century they stopped operations due to the low level
of ore output. After the Beaumont's the mine was worked on and off by a number
of small companies, with 1890 finally seeing the last operation for lead come
to an end. In the late 1910's the dumps were reworked for fluorspar.
Surface Features around the Harehope Gill mine site.
Updated 13th February 2011.